Monday, August 6, 2007

The ups and the downs

We haven't had wireless here for weeks, so the internet has been sporadic. I apologize to everyone who I owe an email. I promise I will catch up tomorrow night. Last Wednesday was the worst day here ft or me so far. Even with everything I've done and seen, sometimes you just have a bad day Everything was complicated, not working right, it was cold and rainy, no hot water. There's a fuel shortage here now too so I couldn't even heat water. Had to slog through the mud down then back up the 3 hills to get to the ATM. The kids were crabby, the staff were crabby, all the volunteers were crabby, It was just one of those days. Then the very next day, things just got better again. My Australian friends invited me over to their house for dinner to meet their visiting children,(from Dubai and Jakarta) and grandchildren. Miraculously Mary called and said come early and take a hot bath! Even with the new solar panels I had managed really only one hot shower and that reeked of gasoline. At her house my whole body fit in the tub, and the water was clean, hot and odorless!
I love meeting their British friends. They have such an interesting perspective .One of the women was telling me she was born here, had lived here 50 years, when I said "so you're Kenyan?" She quite icily said "no I'm British." Kind of funny. Anyway, I like asking them about how things have changed over the years etc. One woman was hilarious talking about all the "rubbish" she buys from peddlers/beggars because she can't say no. They, like the rest of the people here though, don't seem to know a lot about hiv/aids.Easier to live in a bubble I guess.
On Saturday I went to the village for the day for my friend Nicholas Makau's wedding. He's the manager of the village and the slum clinics. I knew him when I was here before. The wedding started 2 hours late and the Mass was 3 hours long, and I didn't understand a word. It was all in the local Kamba dialect. It was great fun and very interesting, they left the church in a donkey cart. They had actually been civil married for 7 years, have 3 kids, this was their church wedding. We had to leave at 4 to get back to Nairobi, so I missed the next 12 hours of dancing and music. Would have loved to have stayed for that.
On Sunday, after Mass here at Nyumbani, I went with the priest to talk to "some people about my classes". He was kind of vague about it, and when we got there I was surprised to find a room packed with parents from the Kiberra slum who wanted to learn how to talk to their kids about hiv/aids, and sex. Incredible 2 hours. I learned so much about their culture, how hard it is for them to do this but they really don't want their kids to die. They asked me to come back, so I will teach them the first 2 Sundays in Sept. How am I ever going to leave here after experiences like that?
I've started teaching my classes in the slum clinic, I will write more about that later. When the signal gets better I will post pictures. Miss you all
Kuwa salama Officer Tim xoxoxo Little boy

7 comments:

نور said...

welcome to your return

HD said...

Hi Susan....

Keep up the good work... wish i could also be there helping out people...

Really proud of you folks down there.. i mean you, Anna and your other associates out there...

God bless..
Honey

HD said...

Anyway Im going to add your blog's link on my blog so that i can update myself everyday with your experiences... Hope ya don't mind...

Take care...

Janice parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janice parker said...

Good to hear that people are willing to learn more on that topic of hiv and aids over there.

Do visit my blog at http://www.sleepinjammies.blogspot.com

Jon said...

Keep on rockin'! I'm sure I don't need to tell you that what you're doing is important. And your legacy is that big long trail of light behind you.

Cold showers... yuck.

Sheila said...

Susan!

Finally! I have a big box for you (25-30 pounds) and want to know the best way to send for safety & efficiency. I can divide it into smaller boxes if that is better. Most of the stuff is for the daycare village. Do the kids still need winter clothes? Sizes birth-3? I want to get this out TOMORROW as I may give birth any moment. At the latest, next Tuesday. Send me an email if you can, otherwise, I'll check the blog. cskozler@yahoo.com. Blessings!!! Sheila