Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Finally, Some News


I know it has been a very very long time since there was an update. My only excuse was that there was nothing good to say. There are no plans for me to go back, it seems lost in the bureaucracy. I'm working on writing the paper that details the project and the results. Once that is done and sent out perhaps it will fire it up again. I love being here with my family, but when I think about the work it makes me so sad that nobody is carrying it on. I'd love to go back for a quick 3 months and get it off the ground. You never know what life is going to bring so who knows, it may still happen.

Now the good news (hopefully there are still some readers out there!) Three of the boys from Cottage D, John George, and Brian got their visas, I raised enough money(thank you again to all who contributed) for their airfare, and they and one of the uncles from the cottages, Joseph, are coming for a visit!!!! They arrive in Chicago on April 11th. We will be in Madison for a few days, they will have physical exams at UW Children's Hospital, head to Sumner Iowa for 2 days to visit Jim Cross. He's another volunteer who loves those boys as much as I do. Then to Chicago to visit the kids at St. Christina school (my elementary school alma mater) who also contributed to the trip. Then we drive out to DC, to visit the Nyumbani American Board members and maybe even an Obama! Really, no kidding! .

I promise to keep you updated on the plans.

A few other things: I'm hopefully starting a new job in the HIV clinic at UW. A much better fit for me.
My niece sent 4 more blankets over to the daycare, where they were so happy to get them.
The day care is now up to 90 children and they have applied for US AID funding. We're hopeful.

Nicholas Makau from Lea Toto and the Village was here for one month, arrived late November, left the Sunday before Christmas. We pretty much buried him in snow and froze him to death! Here's a picture and I will post more info about his trip and the boys' next week. Really.

No comments: