Monday, September 24, 2007

Moving On

We have had horrendous internet issues here, so frustrating. No more uploading pictures for a while, it really did crash the system! We've had no access for days on end and intermittent when it does appear. I have had to make numerous trips to karen with my computer in my backpack to try and hook up at the internet cafe there, which is even slower than here. One of the things I definitely won't miss.
I've had a good couple of weeks, 2 of my cousins came for a one day visit,a safari stopover. It was great fun, they showed me the luxury side of Kenya, I took them to the slums! They stayed at the Giraffe Manor, a hotel not far from here. It was in this British estate house, with giraffes all over. They stuck their heads in the window and took food right off of our plates! The food and ambience was amazing, a welcome break that I will be forever grateful to Carol and Pete for giving me. Carol is going to do a blog entry from the US so you will get the whole story and pictures from her.
The cottage is recovering from ken's death. We talk about it a lot and look at his picture. The night of his funeral we had a private cottage meeting., just the kids, me and mum terry. We prayed, sang, remembered. We decided that ken always wanted us to be a happy cottage so we will be one. They're working hard at it, but they need to see me every night, stick close and hug hard. They have lived through more than most people do in a lifetime.
This past weekend another volunteer beth and I spent the weekend at the home of the parents of one of Ali's coworkers who is Kenyan. It was a wonderful break, they were such gracious hosts. He was a Fulbright scholar to the US in 1966,it was an honor to be in his company. We had great food, interesting conversations, long walks,and hot showers! Fulbright is all about cultural interchange and that was the best.
A few things I will miss, the birds that fly right into my room and walk around, voice of America on the radio, (especially the show Border Crossings at night, great music), Al Jazeera news on TV when we are actually around a tv, the best samosas in the world.
Thank you for all your blog comments, brook in virgina welcome to the blog! Lauren thank you for sending healthy baby updates, they are food for my soul.
Stay safe Officer Tim, xoxoxo little boy

No comments: