Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas!




I hope that some of you are still reading! Lots of news to tell you. First, the Nyumbani news. The kids all had a good Christmas. President Kibaki and First Lady Lucy came and spent time, of course they were late and the kids had to wait all day. Some things never change!


John in Cottage D had surgery on his leg 2 days after I left. Neither he nor I had any idea it was going to happen. A visiting surgeon from Italy arranged for it. It went well but he is confined to a wheel chair and the cottage for 5 weeks. Not easy for a very active boy. We called him Christmas night and all got to say hello. It was so good to hear his voice and I know he loved the sense of a family to call and talk with. I miss all of the kids so much, and being back with y family makes it even more clear to me how painful it is for all of them to not have family.

My niece had sent me fleece blankets for the new kids, Paul, Eunice and Fidelis. They loved them, those blankets have made a huge difference in the lives of the kids. It's not just that they keep them warm, it's that they are theirs. They can point to something and say mine, they don't have to share. And it's proof that someone in the world cares about them. If you would like to get some for yourselves or family the website is
my2grandmas.com Best blankets ever!~
Other family news: Elizabeth is pregnant with baby number 2!!!!!!!! She is due June 17th, 11 days before Tim and Liz's wedding. Ali was accepted at George Washington University Medical School! She is living proof that if you want something enough you can find a way to make it happen, dream big and never give up.
My news is that I might be heading back to Kenya in a few months! PEPFAR (the president's emergency plan for aids relief) has asked me to come back and set up my project as an organization that we will turn over to the Kenyans in January 2009!! It is a huge honor and a hard decision, hardest ever. But, it's a way to see that my work goes on. I will post more details soon I promise! I know you've heard that before I guess I am turning Kenyan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,

Thank you for the updates. I'm glad to hear your work went well and that you might be heading back. im going back to the village in april for 3 months with some community development proposals. it should be interesting.

i hope you had a merry xmas and a great new year's

Dylan- australia