Monday, December 31, 2007

Kenya in chaos

It's Sunday night, just had dinner with great friends. Went to church this morning met Officer Tim and Liz for breakfast, enjoyed time with them in their apartment. It's snowing here, which it seems to have done almost every day since I got home! All is peaceful here, it's hard to believe that Kenya seems like it's imploding. The presidential elections were on Thursday and they had a record turn out. Everyone was so proud, it was democracy at it's best. Then when it appeared that the incumbent, President Kibaki, was losing, suddenly the results were late in coming. People quickly decided that the election was being stolen, (who knows the truth) and all hell broke loose. I have been receiving phone calls and texts from friends there, there are riots everywhere, killings, fires. Today they declared Kibaki the winner and he was sworn in, that escalated everything. There is talk about evacuating Americans. This is the text I received from my friend Warren in Kericho: This has been total war. I've been putting our fires, carrying babies to safety. It's so sad. I don't know what to say Kenya is up in flames.
As usual my heart is in two places. I don't want to be in danger but it's so hard to be away from my friends there and the kids. Many of the Nyumbani kids are out of Nyumbani staying with extended family, I pray they are safe. All over they are running out of water and food. Many people have been killed. The violence is all over, heavy in Nairobi.
This is a country and a people I came to love. A part of me is home there. This is why things are so hard and complicated in Africa, the rampant corruption, the lack of leadership, the peoples' lack of hope and confidence. As I struggle to find the latest news I see too the world's indifference, it's what we expect so we don't find it too newsworthy. But for me it will never be the same because for me there are faces and names.
No matter what you might think of George Bush we should all be grateful that come Inauguration Day he will get on a plane and fly away. And we don't have to be afraid.

No comments: