Thursday, January 3, 2008

Watching It All

Things are still very bad in Kenya. I have been able to talk to an exhausted heart broken Warren. The compound in Kericho where I taught is now home to 1500 frightened Kikuyu. The IU program is evacuated out of Eldoret. Nairobi continues to self destruct. No one knows how or when this will end. I have been in touch with mum Anne's family and Nicholas. All are safe, the volunteers in Nyumbani are staying behind the guarded gates, all are facing food and water shortages. I look at the plenty around me and feel ashamed of all I have here. I watch on the news and see the streets I walked many times. I think of all the shopkeepers I met and got to know and wonder if their stores still exist. I worry about all the kids (3000) who come to the Lea Toto clinics in the slums and know that for now they won't see doctors and nurses when they're sick and won't get their next month's ARVS, and that could literally kill them. I have no idea where or how Rosalia is, she lives in Kibera where there has been much violence. How frightened they all must be. When Dr. Jim Conway was visiting me we walked through Kibera together and wondered why it hadn't erupted, a million people living in extreme poverty I couldn't begin to describe. We wondered what the spark would be that would set it all off. Now we know.
Please keep all of them in your thoughts and prayers, I will keep you updated.

No comments: