Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Field trips

It's been a busy 5 days, with lots to do and see. My classes have gone well, we're now halfway through. The kids are learning a lot, and seem to be enjoying them. They are very attentive, minimal giggling, asking lots of questions. It has really shown me that kids really do just want accurate information, doesn't matter where they live. They just want to know. I don't know if this will change any decision making, but at least they will have a better understanding of HIV/AIDS and the impact it has on their life. It will be interesting to see how the experience for me and the students changes when we do the classes in the slum clinic. Those children have a whole different context for HIV/AIDS than the Nyumbani kids.

On Saturday we were able to see Ali on the computer, for some reason that day my camera wasn't working, but hers was. The first lesson you have to learn here is how to go with the flow and have no expectations! The kids loved seeing her, especially when she was sticking her tongue out at them!They feel so connected to our family, it's really wonderful.

On Saturday afternoon Sr. Julie (an American nun who's the volunteer coordinator here) and I took Ken to Karin for an hour for a treat. I had been thinking about how he never leaves the gates here, he never sees anything else. His life is so narrow. He hasn't had a fever for a few days and seemed better so we thought it would be fun. We drove down, teh 1.5k walk would have been way beyond his capabilities, and went to an outdoor cafe that bordered the road. So much to see! He was so excited, never stopped smiling, never stopped looking around, like a dry sponge soaking up water. He wanted only a piece of bread and a cup of Kenyan tea, most of which he couldn't finish. 2 British Army officers drove slowly by and waved at him, that about put him over the edge! People would look at him, he's so obviously ill and malnourished, but he didn't seem to mind. On the way home Sr. Julie had him shift the gears and even steer (only when we were back on Nyumbani grounds!) he was so proud. He told mum anne and his cottage mates all about it, I really think it was the most fun he has ever had. We're all discouraged because even with all our efforts he has not put on any weight, and had fevers again this week. Still, for a little while we could all forget about all that and for an hour he could be a little boy on an adventure, seeing the world. or at least a new corner of it.

On Monday Donna, (another volunteer),myself and Mum Anne spent the day at a safari lodge,Whistling Thorns. Other volunteers had been and loved it so I decided I needed a day of R and R. It took an hour and a half to get there by matatu, 2 hours to get home. Still, it was incredibly worth it. They have a swimming pool! I felt so clean! we ate lunch on the veranda, they served personal size pizzas and I ate a whole one! It's owned by a British couple who opened it in 1992 as a base for their safari company. They have since added rooms, the pool, restaurant, bar. It's so lovely, and peaceful, the view is savannah and acacia trees. you can go horseback riding, on a Masai guided hike, or you can do what I did, lay by the pool and read. and eat. Mum Anne loved it, had never been to a place like that. It's not fancy, I know there's a lot fancier ones around, but it's so welcoming and low key and affordable. I promise to take anyone there who would like to go. You can check it out online, whistlingthorns.com I felt so refreshed, body and soul, until of course I was aboutl halfway home and already filthy again!

24 hours later I was at one of our slum clinics, actually the busiest. myself and 2 other volunteers were working on the data project. I had to go through the files of children who had died and gather demographic and medical data and enter it on a form. It was very sobering, and sad. Reading their social situations, learning the course of their illness. I tried to feel each one of them, get a sense of who they were, so they would not be a nameless faceless statistic.
This clinic at least has running water (read working bathroom), but is very crowded and dirty. we actually worked in the hall on an old table. It's a 4 story building, construction workers were walking by us all day going up the stairs carrying bags of cement. No privacy here!

Going to the slums is always so eye opening, the sheer density of people is overwhelming. None of the roads are pave, there's garbage and animals everywhere. They are so full of life though,people walking everywhere, selling anything, kids running around,waving at you. I never saw any other mizungos. Kiberra, the biggest and most famous slum is a little different, there's a lot of ngo's there, so you see more relief workers and work being done. Where I was, Kariobangi, is on the eastern side of Nairobi. Plenty of slums to choose from!
Today all the other volunteers went to Nyumbani village to see it and visit the volunteers there, Sarah has gone there to spend two months. I had so much to catch up on, I will go another day. It's nice to have the place to myself!
Stay safe officer timmy, x0x0x0x little boy

No comments: