Thursday, March 8, 2007

Great Day

First, here is a brief overview of my project. It is a series of 6 classes, taught by nurses, that are for HIV+ adolescents. They cover normal growth and devolopment, the immune system, HIV/AIDS, and prevention of transmission. We cover issues like how antiretrovirals work, why you can never stop them, how to tell a partner or friends your status. We will do a pre and post test to see if the kids learn from the classes and also get a look at how they percieve and feel about HIV. Hopefully, the data will show that the classes will help them make more thoughtful decisions.
I met with the country coordinator for PEPFAR (the US President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief) yesterday at the embassy. He was very helpful and very enthused about the project. There is a huge gap in services for adolescents. I think nobody thought they would live to be that age, and now they are a huge source of potential new infections. So many of them have also been through incredibly traumatic experiences, a population that is normally hard to deal with is even harder here. I have already been contacted by a PEPFAR site director elsewhere in Kenya who wants to use my project soon, doesn't even want to wait for the data. When my faculty advisor. Dr. Melissa Weddle comes in April we are going out there to meet with him. The country coordinator is meeting today with coordinators from other African countries and he said I will also be hearing from them.He and I are going to meet again and discuss consultancy, so I can get paid for some of this work. It can really turn into something I had never expected. One of the best things that came out of my meeting with him is he invited me for dinner at his home with his family, a hot shower and use of his American washer and dryer!!
Also yesterday I was invited to the Ambassador's Residence tonite for a reception in honor of International Womens Day. It's not every day that your handed an engraved invitation that starts" The Ambassador of The United States of America requests the company of Susan Gold...."
Pretty crazy!
Also last night we were able to skype and I saw Liz, Timmy, and Baby Jack!!! It was so awesome, the technology is such a gift. It wouldn't have happened without my laptop, thank you again Kerry and Reuters, Ali for patiently getting us all on line despite numerous dropped calls, and Jack allowing Liz to wake him up from his nap, come and sit in front of the computer and wave at me!
Another bit of good news I received yesterday was that UW IRB gave the final approval and go-ahead for my project, so I can start tomorrow night!
I also received notice that the 3 packages my family sent have all arrived. I picked them up today and am happily munching on chocolate and reading magazines. You sure do appreciate the little things here.
This was the very best news. The new combination of drugs that Sammy is on? His viral load dropped from over 100,000 to 7,000. Now that truly is a gift.
Ken is also doing better, he seemed to reach bottom about a week and a half ago, still fevers, vomiting, his legs started swelling, was really withdrawn. We really thought he was dying. But, he somehow has really hung in there and is slowly coming back to us. No more fevers, only vomits occasionally, and is interacting again. he does only weigh 13kg still. Last night he was sitting on my lap, it's like holding a bunch of toothpicks.I'm always so careful when I move him, he seems like he will break. I realized I could put my thumb and middle finger together and encircle his thigh.That's how small he is. Again, every good day with him we're grateful and we don't take it as a promise of another. I think too of all the sammys and kens out there that don't get the care they do and probably never will.
Ann's sister Carol is doing well, pain is resolving. She sees the doc on Saturday and will hopefully get good news.
Update on my back: It's feeling very good, only occasional pain, mostly when I'm tired. We all got new mattresses which helps a lot. The kids are very protective, remind me not to bend over, no I can't pick them up. instead they say"sit down so you can hold me." When I got here all the D kids had to stand in line, I had to lift up my shirt, and they all had torun their finger along the small scar. Then they pronounced: Your doctor? He is who? He is very good. I agree.
I will try to write over the weekend to tell you all how the classes went and the reception with the ambassador. Miss you all.
Timmy, stay safe and xoxoxo to little boy (double because I missed it last blog)

No comments: