Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The long rains

Dr. Melissa W left on Sunday after a great 2 weeks visiting me here. We went all over, which is why I haven't had time to blog. It was kind of like Kenya on crack, everyday was a new adventure. Since she left the "long rains" have come, it rains like I've never seen before, and everywhere what was dry and dusty has turned into thick heavy mud. There will be no quick walks to the village for a few weeks. So far though the rain hasn't washed out our internet connection! First some really good news, ken's cd4 count has increased from 1 to 16!!! We are all hoping he has turned a corner, as he feels better his spirits are improving, he's much more interactive and gives me his big smile everyday. He seems to have found the will to live again. he's eating more, though still not gaining weight. Hopefully that will come too as the arvs finally win the war against the virus. They truly are miracle drugs, it's just so sad that they were so long coming here. Unfortunately there has been a new emergent admission, 10 year old margaret. She came to us from lea toto, one of the slum clinics, She is severely malnourished, weighs less than ken, has sores all over, has been beaten and molested. Has meningitis, having seizures. I have spent time taking care of her, had to give her an injection. I cried because I couldn't find any muscle or soft tissue in which to put it. She speaks only her tribal dialect, not even swahili. Still, as ill as she is, she rubbed her hand on my hand, her first touch of mizungo skin.
On a lighter note, melissa and I had a wonderful time. Mum ann's family we're wonderful hosts, despite the lack of running water and intermittent electricity We spent time in the slums, visited a daycare with 42 children and only 2 old tires to play with. I am bringing some toys there next week. I will be going there at least twice a month to check on the kids medical condition. Should be challenging, melissa had to do her exams outside because there is no power and it's too dark inside. Still they sang us a wonderful song and cheered when we took their picture.
We also went up to Kericho, about 250 km from Nairobi. The drive is horrendous, there's about 35 miles of to put it nicely off-road quality road. You haven't lived until you've seen rickety old semis and buses crammed with people going off-road! we saw 2 overturned trucks. While we were in Kericho we stayed at the guest house for the army's walter reed project. It was a little bit of heaven, I had a hot shower and a bath! I took my clothes out of my backpack and left them on the bed, when I came back they were washed (like really clean!) and pressed! Real hot coffee in the morning, a fire in the fireplace at night. Meals were even cooked for us! Our tax dollars at work. What a gift. We toured the district hospital, met with staff and some workers at a youth center and at another orphanage. Hopefully they will be able to use my program, (I just want to get back into that guest house!). They have a big problem with disclosure of status in the rural areas, they say almost none of the 1000 children they treat at the district hospital know they're +. Which is why there are so many problems and the future looks so bleak. There were 2 other Americans staying at the guest house, an army doctor from DC, and a nurse who's there monitoring vaccine trials. She's there for a year, he for a month. We had wonderful dinner time conversations, those 2 nights will be favorite memories for me for a lot of reasons. One of the best things about this whole experience is the fascinating inspiring people I have met.
This is getting long, (so what else is new!) I will post again tomorrow, try to put pictures on later today. much to tell you about safari, the embassy, nyumbani village.
stay safe officer timmy, xoxoxo little boy happy day after your birthday Elizabeth

No comments: