Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Home Stretch

My friend Barb left last night after a great 10 days here. We went to the daycare center where I took care of the kids and because she is a gynecologist she saw all the women. They were so grateful to have a woman physician to see, they don't have access to those kinds of doctors. (good and female and free). We spent some time in the slums, always an eye opening experience for people new to Africa. It is so good to look around the center and see pictures on the walls, the kids in clean clothes, toys all over, medical charts and supplies and know it's from my family and friends. Asante sana everyone.
After safari we went to Lamu, truly my most favorite place on earth, for 4 days. The ocean was warm and beautiful, the hotel was perfect. I can't describe how quiet and peaceful but so much fun it is. The website for the hotel is www.peponi-lamu check it out! The house next door to the hotel is owned by Princess Caroline of Monaco, she and her family are frequent visitors. I totally understand why, the hard part is leaving there!
Yesterday before she left we went on a tour of the Nairobi Women's Hospital. It was opened in 2001 has 57 beds, specializes in sexual assault and gender violence victims. They treat about 15 new victims per day, the very sad thing is that many of them are very young children. Quite a contrast from Lamu, Kenya is such a contrast between good and evil.
Now I'm starting to wind things up. Thinking about how to pack, how to leave. I still have meetings to go to, have to do my final Fulbright report, need to spend time in the village officially opening the library, (they left me 2 boxes to shelve) I'm babysitting Augustus, the other Fulbrighter's baby for 3 days. That will get me ready to see Jack! I'm spending lots of time with the D kids, just being here.
Stay safe Officer Tim, xoxoxo Little Boy

No comments: