Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More awake today.

I had a good night sleep last night, jet lag really is so uncomfortable.
I had sort of forgotten (maybe I didn't want to remember!) how the internet here is such an issue, I had become spoiled at home again. It was down yesterday at Nyumbani and the one at the internet cafe was so slow it took forever. Today I get to use the one at AED, the American organization's offices, so I'm enjoying American speed again.
It's good being here. I feel very safe, everything feels pretty much the same. I'ts very expensive now though, I haven't really seen any food shortages but the price is definitely higher. Taxis are a lot more expensive (gas is cheaper here than in the US) so I had to get my matatu skills back quickly. People are quick to tell me I am safe, that everything is calm now. They are very curious as to what the rest of the world thought.
Nyumbani was great yesterday. I got there about 9 am, so most of the kids had left for school. I went first to the sickroom where I saw John and Sammy K. John was reading a book and didn't see me come in, I stood there and when he lowered the book he just looked absolutely stunned. Then he reached up his arms, got a big smile on his face and tears in his eyes. Brian came in because he wasn't feeling well and had stayed home from school. He stood there and looked like he couldn't believe his eyes. He too just wanted to be held for awhile. The little ones were at school in Nyumbani, again shock on their faces followed by big smiles and big hugs. Mark kept saying over and over Susan Gold Susan Gold.
The hard part about not staying at nyumbani is I'm not there at night. So, I won't be back there until tomorrow. Sr. Julie told me this morning that George asked her if it was true I was back! Hopefully tomorrow I will get there and spend more of the day and stay until early evening so I can see everyone.
The meetings are going well. more to come. It seems like I won't have to be here for as long as we thought when I come back. But, this is Africa,and everything changes all the time!
Pray for Sammy K, they fed him with the gravity feeding bags I brought and he seemed to tolerate it much better so had a much better night. But, it is clear to me he will not survive.
It's good to hear Swahili again, to see the smiles on the kids, to eat the samosas and drink citrus fanta!
I will blog again tomorrow or Friday.

No comments: