Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Christmas in January

As usual lots to tell. The cultural affairs officer from the embassy called to check, make sure I was settled in and feeling safe. The killing of those 2 women was a big tragedy for the embassy staff, but he assured me that if we continue with our commonsense precautions (which we will) we should be fine. We are also rarely in a car. He also said the PEPFAR people were looking for my contact information so I'm hoping I will hear from them soon. tomorrow, Wednesday, is my first day working at the other clinic, I'm very excited about it and looking forward to it. here is my typical day: up with the roosters, do my back exercises, have my instant coffee. (hey, it works!) the whole staff meets at 8 for prayer, announcements, discuss the day to come etc. It's actually a great way to start the day. Then I work in the "sickroom" helping the Kenyan nurses, nancy and moses, get the meds ready. It's long, complicated, but I'm slowly learning. Each of the 88 kids here right now is on different medications, different doses etc. So you need to know their name, thier place in the med box, looks like a fishing tackle box sort of, what med, what dose, what form of med etc. What I wouldn't do for a good pharm tech here!! I then deliver the boxes to the cottage. then I spend time with any sick kids, give the IV meds etc. tea time is at 10:00, everyone meets for tea, which I hate because it has milk in it, I just drink water. Then I help in the kitchen don't worry I don't cook I wash and dry dishes. It's actually quite fun because the Kenyans who work in the kitchen are very funny and very welcoming. And they play the radio, and the windows are open and the breeze comes in. After that I help with lunch for the kids who are still on the grounds, most of the kids are off to school. From 1-3 is my free time, we usually walk down to the village or just hang out. At 4 the kids come home from school so we help with homework, getting them settled, help with dinner, getting them ready for bed. I'm usually done about 8 or so. Every day can be a little different. The pace is slow, and you know I move fast so I'm still working on letting go and getting into the rhythm.
Yesterday my best Cottage D boy, John, who is 11, fell at school and cut his leg very badly. he had to go to the ER (!) and get stitches. Which they covered with adhesive tape, he is much better today but of course is milking it for all it's worth.
Last night we finally had our Christmas party. Each child got a t-shirt with their name on the back, and cottage D we are family on the front, thank you movin shoes. They absolutely loved it, they never have stuff of their own, (they still all have their blankets though) they would come and show me their back and show me their name. Then we did the Santa, it's one of those mechanical toys, about a foot high, that I got for $10 from walgreens. It's a black santa in sunglasses with a saxophone and when you push the button it dances and plays Santa Claus is coming to town. Thanks to Sarah K's great packing skills it got here intact and working. They went nuts, eyes were big, incredible giggles, we all ended up singing along with it. It was just a magical night i will never forget. hopefully we got pictures that I will someday figure out how to get on the blog.
I will try to blog again tomorrow after the clinic so I can tell you all how it went at the clinic. I hate to rub it in but it's absolutely gorgeous here, warm and sunny during the day, cool under blankets at night. Life on the edge of the Rift!

No comments: