Sunday, January 28, 2007

It wasn't us, we're alive!

I promise this one will be shorter.First,you might have heard about the 2 American women carjacked and killed in Nairobi yesterday.It wasn't me!! It's very tragic, scary, but everyone says very unusual. They are very surprised they attacked the car because it had diplomatic plates. For some reason the Americans had been sitting on the side of the road for 1/2 hour. Anyway, I'm sure the security guy at the embassy is all over it. We are being very careful, not taking any chances. Everyday. It's been a great few days, getting to know the kids better again,Sammy K is finally better though still getting IV antibiotics. Thursday night it was so frustrating, his fever was so high, he was breathing at 40/min, HR over 100. I could only imagine the medical response in the US< here he had me and luckily Dr.George available by mobile. Long night, but we both made it through. Sure would have been nice to see the Peds ID boys though! The international board of Nyumbani was meeting in Nairobi this week so Friday night they took the American volunteers out to dinner. It was very nice but I was so incredibly exhausted, I think it was the height of my jet lag plus being with Sammy. I sat next to Fr.D'AG's brother Joe, (ali he wants you to come to his house for dinner in March after he gets back from Fl), the dean of the medical school of Nairobi University and the former Kenyan ambassador to the US. I kept trying to have a good conversation, they were all asking me about my Fulbright, but I could hardly stay awake, and my chair was broken so it took all my strenght not to slide under the table.Quite a night. Sarah and I took John My favorite Cottage D kid)to the village yesterday, he had so much fun.He has to high five every policeman,smile at everybody. Greet everybody,he even made the British people smile. Today Sarah jim and I went to mum ann'es house for lunch and met some of her family. They were so welcoming, it was like coming home. They really consider themselves our Kenyan family. Carol has to have mores surgery on her leg in March,I'm going with her to the hospital and will take care of her there.She says she will be the only one with a mizungo nurse!! Should cause quite a stir but will hopefully get her good care. Their house is lovely and since that's where you will all stay when you come I can assure you that you will be very comfortable!. Rachel & Carolina: the Spanish board members came to the restaurant after they returned from the nyumbani village and I was able to ask them how their trip was etc all in Spanish! They were impressed. Another volunteer is coming tonite and will be staying with me and Sarah, will be a little crowded, hope she's cool.
Miss you all, hope to do pictures this week, and don't worry we will always duck and cover!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Susan! Glad to hear you are safe and well! We miss you very much already, but can't wait to hear more about your amazing adventure! We will keep you and all the kiddos in our prayers. Love, The Lowerys!