Sunday, May 13, 2007

I need to fix something

Last night when I was falling asleep I was thinking about my blog entries. I realized that in my haste I might have left the impression that it was me who was leaving a sustainable day care program and saving lives. Nothing can be further from the truth. I was trying to cram so much stuff in and the power went out 4 times because it was raining so hard, I kept condensing!Anyway, I want to make it clear how I feel about all that. It's Caroline and her staff who are doing all the work, who's ideas and plans are making this a success and sustainable. What I'm doing is volunteering my resources and expertise where I can help. My goal is a medical/nursing structure in place that anyone can step into and help the kids. Caroline and I hope to establish a volunteer network that will include Kenyan and American personnel. It's a very small piece of the whole program. I have seen and learned in my time here that what makes a program successful is not what the Americans bring to it but what the Kenyans do.
In time past how Americans would have contributed to this daycare program is built or found a site, supplied it with toys, maybe hired a kenyan to run it, maybe an American, fund raised to keep it going and hoped the donors didn't lose interest, made sure there was a plaque on the wall commemorating the American effort. Thankfully, we've all changed our ways. The vision Caroline has to learn the identify the needs of her community lease the land, provide the classes, encourage the parents to volunteer,all that is what's providing ownership and success.
It has been a struggle at times, coming from the nursing background that I do, to figure out what my role here is. I really don't know if I had been in charge if outcomes would be different. I do know that I have learned more patience, humility, developed more negotiating skills along with an appreciation of "Kenyan time."
The whole concept behind the Fulbright program is the sharing of cultures and resources so that both cultures learn from each other. That learning is what will strengthen our bonds, I am so lucky to be a part of that program and learn those lessons.
I feel better now.
Stay safe Officer Tim xoxoxo little boy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hola Susan, que bueno saber de ti, espero que tu espaƱol no se te haya olvidado pues si quiero escribirte en ingles tendria que esperar a que Sofia o juanfe estubieran al lado mio. Espero que todo este saliendo como lo pensabas y por tu ultimo comentario que fue el unico que alcance a leer (te prometo que los leere todos) veo que estas aprendiendo mucho y que tu tiempo alli ha sido bien aprovechado. Te envio un enorme abrazo de parte de todos los Uriza y un feliz dia de madre.
Un beso

Olga

Anonymous said...

As Olga's Official Interpreter...

Hi Susan, It's so great to hear from you and I hope that you haven't forgotten your Spanish as I would like to write you in English I would have to wait until Sofia or Juan Felipe are at my side. I hope that everything is working out as you had hoped and as I read in your last entry (I promise to read all of them) I see that you are learning a lot and that you have taken full advantage of your time there. The Uriza family sends you a big hug and Happy Mother's Day.

a kiss,
Olga

Maybe your next blog entry should be in Spanish for all of your hispanohablante readers! (Rachel, Carolina, Olga, me etc)