Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Life goes on

I'm feeling much better, if there's one thing you learn here it's that life truly does go on. We all are remembering Margaret, I will never be able to forget her, but we are moving forward. Thank you all for all your support, you are all my life line to a saner world. The Nyumbani kids have been on school holiday for a month. The first 3 weeks they all had tutoring here provided by the volunteers. This last week has been the Nyumbani Olympics. Each cottage is an African country, (Cottage D is Tanzania) they watch an Olympic themed movie in the morning, (chariots of fire, cool running, miracle on ice etc) then we have the games and the afternoon is a special activity. One of the volunteers had gotten all the Olympic music so we play that and they had the opening ceremonies with the march of nations, each cottage made their flag, we have an olympic torch made out of tissue paper, we have an announcer and medals for the winners. The first day of the games I was caring for Margaret so I didn't participate in the game events, though I did take them to the movie. (It felt so surreal knowing she was dying listening to the olympic theme and the kenyan national anthem, an experience that I will never forget) They loved the real movie in a cinema, the older ones had been but not the younger ones. What I think they loved most was the hand dryer in the bathroom! When I checked in with Cottage D they were so dejected, they hadn't won anything! Which they totally blamed on me. yesterday was a much better day. George won the pacifier race! (you run across the yard with a pacifier in your mouth! and all of cottage D won the find the buried dead batteries in the sand event. My favorite was the Kenyan bobsled race! the youngest in the cottage sits in a cardboard box and 2 of the oldest pull them across the yard and we time them! It's so fun, if felt so good to laugh, it's what we all needed.
Ken was beside himself when Sr. mary put his medal around his neck! Here's a picture of George who broke our losing streak, some of the kids plotting team strategy, and a very proud ken.
Thank God, life does go on. Enjoy all the pictures, it took all morning to upload them but I'm caught up!

No comments: