Saturday, May 19, 2007

Night of the flying termites

It has been raining, raining, raining. When there's a particularly heavy downpour at night multitudes of flying termites emerge. The other night Jody (my roommate) and I were hanging out in our rooms,avoiding the wet dash to the cottages, when I noticed some bugs flying around. My creature tolerance has gone way up here, I've seen some major ones!! also, one of our volunteer duties is to sort rice and beans, picking out the bugs. So, I've gotten pretty used to giant grasshoppers, cockroaches,snakes, chamelions, lizards, huge hornets and wasps,spiders, plus your garden variety ants mosquitos etc. We've learned to keep cups upside down, always look in your cup before filling or drinking and and always check the pan before cooking. Always spread your mosquito net before going to sleep.
Well, I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I realize that there's more than a few of them. These bugs are about 3", have multiple translucent brown wings and are drawn to the light. They fly around, then shed their wings all over the place, crawl around and die. Not a very pleasant life span. I looked around and realized they were coming in by the hundreds under the door, through the crack in the windows! I yelled for Jody, we she immediately opened the door, turned on the outside light while I turned off the inside light (of all nights to have power!)to draw them out. We then put stuff across the bottom of the door, closed the windows etc and sat in the dark. I admit I was totally grossed and freaked out and did have some cowering time on the lower bunk. After a half hour they were gone, leaving behind wings all over. Even more disgusting is they're considered a delicacy, are fried in their own fat. Not on my menu.
Stay safe Officer Tim xoxoxo little boy

2 comments:

Finley's Family said...

Not the best way to get me excited about visiting, Mom!!!!!!

-Liz

Lauren said...

That's disgusting!