Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lost....and found

all the prayers to the luggage gods worked. KLM delivered my 2 bags to Nyumbani Wednesday afternoon, everything present and accounted for. That was a huge relief, I am obviously still very attached to my stuff! The first 24 hours of re-entry were hard, exacerbated by the thought of no clothes, gifts etc. Now I just have to get my sleep times back on Kenya time. the kids loved all their gifts, I will put pictures on tomorrow. elizabeth ann they loved their blankets, it was so wonderful last night to tuck them all in under homemade blankets. They all told me this morning how warm they were all night, thank you so much. Susanne when I gave Ken his watch he had the biggest smile and said "for me?" he's worn it very proudly ever since, shows it to me everytime I see him. I gave one watch to Sheila, she's the oldest girl in the cottage and has worked so hard with the younger kids. She's very quiet and often overlooked in the hubbub, you could tell how special it made her feel. The 3rd watch I gave to Brian, because he scored the highest score on the standardized tests at school. He too was so surprised and touched. they all oohed and aahed over the plates, thought they were so colorful and would be great fun to eat off of. They never complain about setting the table or washing the dishes but now they said it would be fun. I can't thank either of you enough for your generosity and for the time you put in to the kids gifts - they truly appreciated them. Sarah, the pencil sharpener caused all sorts of consternation in security on all 3 continents, I don't think anyone new what it was. Each time I had to dig it out of my backpack and explain! The kids now are frequent sharpeners!
So, I'm settled in. It's hard seeing the sad things again, but this does feel a little bit like home. I know this time will fly by, I"m trying to make the most out of everyday. Thank you all for your time when I was home, to those I didn't get to see it was only because the time was so short, I look forward to seeing you in November.
Stay safe Officer Tim, xoxoxo Little boy, Happy Birthday to my sister Rita and a very Happy Anniversary to Tim 32 years! I love you.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You are the cutest! I don't think you hear that enough. You are the most amazing woman, and I hope we can all have the opportunity to learn something from you during our lives!

Be safe.