Saturday, June 16, 2007

Village life

I arrived back at Nyumbani last night after 3 days in the village. It's become a Nyumbani joke that Nicholas, the director of the village and Lea Toto has been trying to get me to come to the village and stay a long time. Each time I go I stay a little longer. This time I told him if he wants me to stay a long time he needs to buy me the internet and flush toilets! (think pit toilet in your house.) Actually the more I go there the more I love it. Though I did come home absolutely filthy, even the lukewarm shower felt so good. They are making progress by leaps and bounds there, now have over 150 children and 25 grandparents. The goal is 1000 children, 250 granparents. It's a reminder about the immensity of the problem and the impact on Kenyan life. I don't know how Nicholas keeps on top of everything, he also runs Lea Toto back here, his wife and 3 kids are here, the drvie between here and the village is absolutley tortuous. Yesterday I gave him my IPOD to listen to, it was nice to see him relax for a little while. He does a super human job. My time there was really wonderful. You can really feel yourself slow down and adapt to the rhythm of village life. When Nicholas came to get me, an hour and a half late, to take me back here, he found me asleep in the sun on a bench. A few months ago I would have been so frustrated at the delay, stalking him to get going! I like the "hakuna matata" lifestyle! My favorite times there are early morning and late evening. In the morning I sit with my coffee on the steps of the guesthouse and watch the village come to life. The kids run off to school, someone feeds the chickens, the volunteers gather for breakfast. The grandmothers make beautiful woven baskets, they all walk around with them in their hands, weaving and talking as they go.It did not remind me of my knitting yellow blankie! I love listening to the women in the kitchen chatter in Kamba, the local dialect. People walk for 2 1/2 hours to work in the village, and feel blessed to have a job. It really feels like a village now. At night all the volunteers and some of the staff would gather at the guest house for dinner and after meal conversation. There are 4 Catholic priests in training there, 2 are Kenyan 2 are Indian. They were hilarious.We had great talks about the role of religion in culture, all sorts of things by the light of the solar lantern. Then I would sit outside and look at the stars and enjoy the cool breeze. It really is a magical place. They use a 12 hour clock, that's based on sunrise/sunset. If they say they will meet you at 5, they mean after 5 hours of sunlight! How cool is that? Since there's no electricity and it's out in the middle of nowhere I have never seen such darkness, you literally cannot see the hand in front of your face in the middle of the night. The nurse, Joseph, and I started the classes for the kids. Word got out and over 80 kids came! They wouldn't leave, I'll never forget sitting there as the light faded answering question after question. Kids all over the world truly just want to know.
I have met so many different and interesting people here, all who have taught me so much. Nicholas took me to the village of Kitui, about 25k from Nyumbani Village. Takes 20 minutes of off road driving just to get to the road to go there! I met some nuns who run a very successful program for street kids. They were so impressive in their dedication to their mission. Their bathroom was awesome too.
There is still so much to learn, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem like there's much time.
I will post pictures tomorrow. hopefully.
Stay safe Officer Tim, xoxoxo little boy.

No comments: