Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Midterm Report

As you might have noticed by the ticker at the top I'm officially halfway done. Actually that was yesterday, but the power was out here so I couldn't write. I really can't believe it's on the second half now. I can remember in the beginning, before I settled in, thinking I would never last. Now I wonder how I will go home. (But, don't worry I will!). My project has gone well, we're setting up now to teach the classes in the slums in August. I'm so grateful for how enthusiastically it's been embraced at sites all over. I'm humbled by how much people/kids want to know and how as a nurse I have the information they want. I really feel like I will leave behind something that will make a difference. Most beautiful: the incredible Kenyan scenery, different wherever you go in Kenya, hilly green flat arid urban rural. So many "postcard" images. Most frustrating: the roads and the bureaucracy. (though today I got my research permit changed in less than 20 minutes at no cost!!). Most haunting: the sight of Margaret's tattered shoes under the bed for days after she died. No one had the heart to remove them. Funniest moment: I was walking back to Nyumbani from Karin when all of a sudden I heard lots and lots of children yelling "susan gold, susan gold" the nyumbani school bus was going by and they were all hanging out the window, they did stop and give me a ride. Most fulfilling moment: anytime they come and curl up on my lap or sit next to me, and just want to be loved. Best friend besides mum ann: the other Fulbrighter here, Heather. But, I make just like her for her baby Augustus too! Biggest convenience: wireless and Pascal who makes it work, my mobile. Doesn't matter where you are in the world, it's good to be connected. Most peaceful moments, here or in Kitui: early mornings, late at night. Most powerful moment:first, the kids here do not talk about their families, their previous lives before Nyumbani, though many were horrific, 70% have been molested. One Sunday at church our favorite priest, Fr.Ludwig talked in his sermon how he has just been to sudan and how sad it was. It was also the week of the Kenyan air crash and he talked about how sad for the people on the plane and their families. Then he asked what was a time they felt very sad. Suddenly it was like a dam broke, voice after voice: 'when my mother died" "my father...." "my grandfather... " "my brothers..." "when my parents ran away and left me" we all sat there stunned as it went on and on. Finally,they were silent, but you could see the grief on their faces. Fr. Ludwig looked at all of them and said "at the moment you were the saddest and the most alone, God loved you." and you could see the comfort it brought them. And I thought to myself that I will never again doubt the power of faith. What I couldn't live without: your emails and your support. What I can't wait for: the sight of my family coming through those doors at Kenyatta National Airport! Love you all, I'm on the downhill now!!!

No comments: