Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day!

Poured rain here last night, so today is my day off and it was quite a muddy walk to Karin. I am going to go with mum ann's sister carol to the doctor so I'm taking the day off from my other clinic too. To be honest I need a day without sick kids. Ken got very sick again yesterday, luckily the nyumbani doc was here. She tried forever to get an IV in him, hands, arms, head feet he doesn't have a good vein in his body. What I wouldn't do for some central lines!! Anyway we ended up having to give him his antibiotics in a shot in his nonexistent butt, I can only imagine how much it hurts. He held on so tight to me and cried and begged no, but we had to do it. He then proceeded to throw up all over so I got my just reward! I was able to go to the nyumbani medical team meeting yesterday. Quite interesting, all the docs from the slum sites etc meet and discuss patients policies etc. The challenges seem overwhelming but the quality of the people willing to try to meet them is inspiring.
Cousin Caryl: thanks for the comment, I'm glad that you're coming in September, there will be much to show you. Beck: I'm getting a tan line from my necklace, proof I never take it off. Timmy and Liz: I like your choices for the reception and rehearsal dinner, ALi seems to have the best luck calling me so try calling on your cell phone if you use a calling card. (hint: love phone calls, somethings never change!)
It's not all sad, though a lot is. The kids are so funny, I love walking across the compound hearing "susangold susangold" in that accent. I taught some of the little ones "little bunny foufou" they think it's hilarious and make bunny ears at me all the time. Cottage D is rocking on their multiplication tables.
Keep all of us in your hearts and today be glad that you're loved, no matter by who. love to all of you xoxoxo little boy, stay safe timmy

2 comments:

Mary said...

Susan,

I have given your blog address to Emily who has given it to her Africa teacher so that the next kid who does Kenya as their country can use your information. I think the teacher is also using this for her whole class. Have you seen the package yet? Our best to all and let us know if Cynthia has e-mail so Em and her can start up again. Take care and be safe.
Mary

Sheila said...

SUSAN!

Katie emailed me your blog address. I've never done this before. I cried when I read your account of the day (2/14)and saw the pictures. You are a true inspiration and you have given me a gift-renewed perspective! Tell me what you want/need for the kids/self. More music? books? food? I have the address on my bulletin board so can send something soon. News our way-I am 15 weeks pregnant! Feeling pretty good. Always nervous as I have a history of miscarriages but everything appears to be as it should thus far. Oliver wants another brother....we will find out the gender in March. I'll be thinking of you. Sheila