Saturday, February 3, 2007

thank God for wireless

Saturday morning, the internet and electricity have been down for 2 days, for some reason though my wireless signal is working (thank you again Kerry!)so I thought I would answer emails by blog. I know you're all freezing there but here it continues to be great, though for 2 nights it poured rain, which is why the electricity is out. Ths morning I got my first warm shower, not hot but close enough,it felt so good, I will never take it for granted again.
Last night was very trying. Ken, the new boy in cottage D was quite ill. He has been here for 2 weeks, had been living in the slums caring for his brother and parents all who had died. he made his way to the Leo Toto clinic, the Nyumbani outreach clinic, they took him immediately to the hospital and now he is here. Like I said he is 10, but weighs 13kg, that's right 28 lbs, less than Baby Jack. He has active TB,now being treated which is good because he was coughing right in my face, oh well, his hgb was 3.4, his CD4 count is 1. Last night I was sitting on the step of the cottage with a bunch of the kids when I looked at him and realized that he was struggling to breathe. His temp was high, he was breathing at 44/min. I went and got Sr. Little, the Indian nun who is also a nurse. We took him to the sick room, where I listened to his lungs, total crap. While Jim held him SR. Little and I tried to get an IV in, kind of like sticking a big needle into a tiny piece of thread. he was screaming,(which in a way is a good sign, but heart wrenching to hear)then he threw up everything he had eaten for the last 2 days, ( you all know how I love puke!) we finally gave up on the IV, and ended up giving him 2 injections in his butt of the antibiotic. no clue if it was the right dose, but better than nothing. We also gave him oral rehydration salts. Thank you Unicef. These kids get so sick so fast, reminds me of my heme onc days. and with a CD4 count of 1 he really has no immune system. Then we carried him back to the cottage. He actually slept through the night and this morning he is much better, fever down, breathing much less labored. I had nightmares all night about the dose of med(rocephin) but I guess it was okay. Another chunk out of my soul.
Today Jim and I are going to Mum Ann's for the afternoon, i will meet the rest of her family and we will celebrate Christmas. That is the good part about being here. Sarah was able to hitch a ride to the Nyumbani village for the day, I'm excited to hear what she thinks. Tomorrow is Sr. Mary's birthday, after mass we will have a party, with real cake!!! Mass here is wonderful, kind of African theater. The kids sing and dance, I love it. Even if your not religious it's a wonderful experience. Last time I was here Brian would come (he was 3) and sit on my lap for the whole service. This time, my first sunday back, I was sitting there and heard a rustling down the row of chairs, Brian made his way back and sat right down on my lap, brought tears to my eyes.
Found Voice of American on my flashlight/radio if I sit outside and hold the little antenna it works, touch of home and well worth it. Again, Thank you Sandy!!
email responses: Kim: I will talk to Sr. Mary and to Kate about where to send the books.
Sarah: you better be there when I get there in May! There will be more suitcases to pack!
Sue: best treat ever getting your phone call, made me miss all of you. but so glad that my phone works, you can call anytime, day or night, and I will answer.
Beck: End of July is fine, talk to ali, my family neeeds to get their act together and set a date, but we could all be together too. It will be hard for me to be away from here for long periods of time. Can't wait to visit you in NYC!
Ali, be safe, call me when you get back to DC. Sue wants you to include you in your travel emails.
Mike: Tim has my account number, he can make deposits. i'm happy to help you.
Becca: haven't seen Knight she is away at school, I know I need to do pictures, I'm just afraid all of Kenya will crash. I promise next week!
xoxoxo Little boy, GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: