Wednesday, February 7, 2007

ken and the flashlight

I haven't blogged for a couple of days, we've had electricity problems, and I keep losing emails etc. I finally decided to just give it a rest.I'm sure you all enjoyed the break! On Saturday Jim and I went to Mum ann's house and met a lot more of her family. (sarah spent the day at Nyumbani village). They are really wonderful people.her sister Grace takes care of the house and her sister carol,who's recovering from a broken leg that she got in a car accident.the leg wasn't set right the first time and she's needed a second surgery and maybe a 3rd. She's in a lot of pain, but says the ibuprofen and tylenol I brought are bringing much relief.so in the meantime, Grace cares for her and her daughter gaia. Grace is an awesome cook, she made us mashed potatoes!!! I had 4 helpings! and this great tomato salad.food is definitely not as much as an issue this time. We met her 3 brothers who are great fun and very charming. They are all getting edcuated thanks to the mum ann fund, and they were profuse in their gratitude. I also met cynthia, her niece, who is now in nursing school, again thanks to the fund. She is very cool, working very hard to make her American family proud of her. We celebrated Christmas, and had so many laughs and just a wonderful time.They all loved their crocs, all the little gifts, Gaia spent hours playing with the fake snow! The highlight was giving Cynthia my niece Melissa's old laptop, (thank you brother tim) She just cried and cried,said it was the happiest day of her life. She said it will make school so much easier.She was really overwhelmed. We all cried actually!
I can't say enough what a wonderful family they are, and how much all of your generosity means to them.They pray for all of you every day, and want you to know the difference you have made in their lives. They are anxious to host you all when you come visit. We went for a walk by their house and saw monkeys!!
Ken is hanging in there, he was better for a few days but then woke again with fever and vomiting.No one really knows what's wrong, or if he will be able to make it. he is so vunerable.
I showed him the windup flashlight/radio that Sandy gave me and his whole face lit up. He has lived only in the slums and has seen very little.This flashlight was like magic for him. every night I bring it to the cottage and he holds it in his hand like it's the most precious thing. It gives him such pleasure and excitement.
I went to the other clinic today and again vaccinated about 80 babies. Even though they all hate me it gives me great satisfaction. newborns are given bcg,the anti-tb vaccine, and a dose of oral
polio. Then at 6, 10, 14 weeks they are given oral polio and a combo vaccine that is dtp, hep b and hib. at 9 months they get measles vaccine. At 6 months and then every 6 months until the age of 5 they get oral vitamin A supplement. There are no well baby checkups, they are only examined when they are ill. The nurse said there are just too many of them and not enough healthcare providers. We also give mosquito nets. I sleep under a net, not so much because malaria is a risk here (though rift valley fever has hit nairobi) but it's so much more comfortable not listening to bugs in my ear all night!
On the way home I stopped and brought some bread etc in Karen.The new Nakumatt grocery store has really changed karen, it's much more Western now. Though again some of the food is very expensive. It really brings in more middle and upper class people. but again,like most of Kenya it's very schizophrenic, surrounded by poverty. I do love the energy and sight and sounds of a developing country, it's so unique right ali?
I'm trying to think if anything else, oh we celebrated Sr.Mary's birthday with a dinner under the stars, great fun. Their happy birthday song is much better than ours.
stay warm, thinking of and missing all of you, timmy say safe, xoxoxo little boy.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hi Susan! I stumbled across your blog! Great updates -- I'm dying to hear any info about the village! Will see you soon!
Beth